HASTINGS, Neb. (KSNB) – Hastings Hearth and Rescue labored to put out a household fire in one-digit temperatures on Sunday.
Firefighters had been dispatched to a dwelling at the corner of Boyce Street and Baltimore Avenue at 3:32 p.m. because of to a report of smoke coming from the roof.
Fireplace crews discovered an unoccupied construction below renovation with hefty fire in the attic. Right after confirming there were no occupants in the building, crews fought the fireplace defensively because of to a partial collapse of the roof until it was protected to enter.
With the temperature at 4 degrees, firefighting initiatives had been hampered as crews dealt with freezing hose traces and gear.
Just one firefighter experienced a minimal harm to the hand. A crew of 18 was on scene for in excess of 6 several hours.
HFR was assisted by Hastings Rural Fireplace District, Hastings Law enforcement Department, Adams County Emergency Administration, Hastings Utilities and the Nebraska Point out Fireplace Marshal.
The Nebraska Point out Fire Marshal is investigating, but HFR explained the fireplace does not seem to be intentional.
Copyright 2021 KSNB. All rights reserved.